Corpania Ideas

CAVEAT! I'm an amateur philosopher and idea-generator. I am NOT an investment professional. Don't take any of my advice before consulting with an attorney and also a duly licensed authority on finance. Seriously, this my personal blog of random ideas only for entertainment purposes. Don't be an idiot.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tiered-Length Hinges for Easy Assembly

I had a little brainstorm while assembling a folding bookshelf that was to be connected by hinges (like a multi-paned free-standing wall screen/divider with 3 hinges along each intersection).

My idea is so utterly obvious that I can't imagine I'm the first person to come up with it.
So if it already exists it should really be everywhere (especially because it's so simple I can't imagine it could get good patent-protection).

NOTE: The pins were already welded to one side of the hinge which were L-shaped (one side to interface on top of the other side). It was very unlike how you might imagine a regular door hinge with 4 or so intermeshing sections that you would put together and subsequently put the pin in after (which also would solve the problem).

PROBLEM: If all of the hinges & pins are exactly the same length (as they were in my bookshelf) then lining them all up to insert simultaneously is surprisingly difficult. When you line up the first hinge you can't quite put it in until you line-up the second and the third exactly at precisely the same moment. It's easy to miss one where the first two hinges set up fine but the third misses entirely necessitating another try. Very frustrating.

HERE'S "MY" SOLUTION: Tiered-Length Hinges. If the first hinge's pin was substantially longer than the the second (which in turn would be longer than the third) then you could slightly slide the first hinge's pin in and then guide in the second hinge's pin and then guide in the third. Though maybe there's some minor incidental cost for non-standardization.

Sketch it out if my non-visual description is too confusing.
You'll see my solution works.
Of course, the old and utterly basic way of having the pin inserted separately works too.
But that wasn't how they designed my bookshelf.
"My" idea for tiered-length hinges is just another meme I hope will enter the zeitgeist and make the world a little bit better.

No comments:

Blog Archive